THE GENTRY MOTOR CAR COMPANY

 

 

 

             

 

The History of the Gentry

 

In 1971 Roger Blockley, was working on the Spitfire production line at the Standard Triumph factory in Coventry. In his garage at home he was building what was to become the first 'Gentry' using a Triumph Vitesse chassis, 1600 engine and a pair of original MG TF wings. It took him over 20 months and was completed in 1973. As the car was so admired he was encouraged to build another for his father, this he did and then started to produce Gentrys commercially early in 1974.

 

The first premises were in a run-down mushroom growing shed on a smallholding at Barwell, Leicestershire, this became RMB Motors' first factory. The Gentry was sold as a fully assembled body shell needing only 12 bolts to secure it for life to a Herald or Vitesse chassis.

Advert from 'Roadster & Replicar' Magazine Winter 1983

(Please don't call and request these prices!)


In 1989 Roger sold the company to two Gentry owners Mick Sinclair and Terry Phillips, who traded as SP Motors. In May 1990 a new custom built chassis was introduced to take the running gear and engines from Ford Escort or Cortina models.


During April 1997 Mick left the company and Terry continued production on his own, trading as TP Motors, producing kits to take Ford Sierra mechanics. He continued production until June 2001 when the factory unit was sold and the company was purchased in December 2002 by the Vintage Motor Company. They failed to produce any Gentrys during their ownership. The Gentry Motor Car Company, owned by Geoff & Ellen Beston, have recently acquired the manufacturing rights.